Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Schloss Kifufu


The Kifufu estate lies on the foothills of Mt Kilimanjaro. Originally developed by a German settler in Tanganyika, the estate was developed as a coffee plantation, and the condition of the basic estate infrastructure bears witness to the quality of German engineering. The estate was recently leased by one of AAC's investees (the well-named Africado) and is being replanted to avocado trees. Here's a picture of the General Manager's castle with the stunning backdrop of Kilimanjaro.
A few years ago, when it was under CDC's ownership and management, I periodically used to visit the Rwenzori Highlands Tea company in Western Uganda. From the main estate, there was an equally fabulous view of the snow-capped Rwenzori mountains. Everyone who visited the estate marvelled at the view, much to the irritation of one estate manager's wife who would acknowledge its beauty but also observe, a little sadly, that "You can't live on a view". True enough, but it certainly helps assuage the loneliness of life on a plantation.
Avocado trees grow very well in parts of East Africa. Africado is planting the much-in-demand Hass variety at Kifufu and plans to distribute seedling trees from its nursery to smallholder farmers in the vicinity. By aggregating smallholder-grown avocados with its own estate production and shipping to high value European markets, the business has solid prospects - and will provide smallholders with another option (apart from coffee production) for a high value tree crop.

3 comments:

Tom Adlam said...

Indeed - we shall hope that you will be able to come over for the wedding. It should be quite an event.

Please send me your email address regarding the other matter.

Tzone said...

I'm humble to see this article I remembered I lives at Sanya Juu in the year 2000-2011 we had visited kifufu for the search of fire wood! OMG! I can't wait to say I know that place well.Now am at Sokoine University of agriculture doing a bachelor of irrigation and water resources engineering hopely to visit kifufu again

Home sweet home!
imomba12@gmail.com

Unknown said...

My father was born there in 1905! I am only now at the point that I can, possibly, visit the place of his birth. Is that a possibility within the next few years? My grandfather was a missionary from Germany and I believe that he was there in the late 1800s.